BOWLING Secretary-General Bong Coo had been hoping the national pool could resume actual workouts by the first week of April and begin building up for the 31st Vietnam Southeast Asian Games set Nov. 23 to Dec. 2 in Hanoi.
But with the national government imposing stricter health and safety protocols until April 4 in the “NCR-Plus” bubble to stem the surging COVID-19 cases, Coo isn’t quite sure anymore if that time table would be followed.
“We would have used only a few lanes kasi 38 lanes naman yong AMF Puyat Bowling Center sa Starmall in Mandaluyong,” Coo, a former national standout, noted. “Dead hour’s para walang tao. Split namin ang training time sked para hindi madaming players.”
The Philippine Bowling Federation had sent its health and safety guidelines for actual training to the Philippine Sports Commission as early as last year based on the protocols laid down by World Bowling, according to Coo.
She said the training would involve 11 male and nine female bowlers since four national pool members are currently overseas.
“Jordan Alcantara is in Australia, Emerson Gotencio is in Bahrain and Marky del Carmen is in Qatar while Bea Hernandez is still studying and training in the US,” Coo said.
To train locally are male bowlers Kenneth Chua, Merwin Tan, Kayle Cedrick Abad, Patrick Neil Nuqui, Angelo Kenzo Umali, Ivan Dominic Malig, Lorenz Michael Tugade, King Krischael Limpo, Joseph Praise Gahol and Danielle Robert Evangelista.
On the distaff side are former World Cup champion Krizziah Lyn Tabora-Macatula, Marie Alexis Sy, Lara Posadas-Wong, Danielle Denise Lazo, Rachelle de Leon, Norel Nuevo, Maria Lourdes Arles, Jelena Grace Ella and Alyssa Louise Ty.
Coo said joining them are coaches Biboy Rivera, Jojo Canare and deputies Reynaldo Reyes, Boni Solis, Orlean Batistil and Edmundo Florencio.