Romero to IATF: Give PBA green light

    2279

    HOUSE Deputy Speaker and NorthPort owner Mikee Romero said the public needs something to watch and enjoy, adding the PBA could be the best entertainment the government could give to the nation in these difficult times.

    With almost everybody still dealing with the deadly impact of the coronavirus pandemic – mentally and financially – Romero has urged the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) to allow the PBA to resume its season via a bubble concept in Clark, Pampanga.

    “The resumption of the PBA will help Filipinos cope with depression and COVID. I am certain it will provide relief,” said one of the wealthiest lawmakers in the country. “We need to relax a bit after months of anguish.”

    ROMERO

    While he’s fully aware the government task force is still facing a gigantic task in trying to contain the spread of the deadly virus, Romero, who saw action for the national polo team in last year’s SEA Games, is confident in the leadership of the pro league and the all-out support of the team owners.

    “Under the leadership of Chairman Ricky Vargas and Commissioner Willie Marcial, the PBA has exhausted everything to make the bubble type concept safe for everyone,” said Romero.

    Romero also noted that PBA players, including his Batang Bier squad, are eager to get back into action after the league was forced to stop in March by the outbreak.

    The 1 Pacman representative said even the league’s marquee players are also one in supporting the government’s “Stay Home, Stay Safe” campaign.

    If given the green light, the PBA will have two-week scrimmages before resuming its games tentatively set Oct. 9.

    The PBA bubble, according to Romero, could become the catalyst as the country tries to survive under the new normal.

    “The PBA bubble could just be the start of something good for Philippine sports. Even how hard it is, we have to move on and stay focused.

    “We need to get up slowly but surely,” added the former amateur basketball godfather.