PBA coaches: We have to follow our leaders

    538

    WHILE a bit disappointed with yet another delay in their players’ return to the practice gyms, PBA coaches are still one with their leaders’ decision regarding the lingering coronavirus threat.

    Safety comes first, chorused most of the bench tacticians even as they have to wait a few more days before conditioning workouts could commence.

    “The delays are for the good of the people,” said Alaska coach Jeffrey Cariaso. “The rising number of cases is very alarming. Safety for all is still our No. 1 priority.”

    The same sentiment was aired by the other bench tacticians.

    “I’m looking forward to getting back to work, but I think we just have to trust our leaders and follow their direction,” Meralco’s Norman Black said. “I’m sure they have everybody’s best interest in mind.”

    The alarming rate with which COVID cases have risen and the health workers’ call for a respite prompted the government to put Metro Manila and some other parts of the country under MECQ for two weeks starting last Tuesday.

    Such quarantine level prohibits non-essential travel plus the opening of gyms and other sports facilities.

    The PBA players were forced to hold off their return to the practice gyms, which was previously targeted either Monday or Tuesday.

    Also on hold are the swab testing on the players, mandated by the PBA to be conducted three days before the practices, initially set today and tomorrow.

    “Handa na talaga kami para sa swab test at sa small group practices but there are some things beyond our control,” said Phoenix Super LPG’s Louie Alas.

    “Grabe talaga ang taas ng cases kaya let’s just wait for things to improve,” added Alas. “Safety for everyone first.”

    “It’s for the safety of everyone,” echoed TNT coach Bong Ravena. “We just have to follow the experts, our doctors, nurses, frontliners.”