THE Philippine Olympic Committee agreed in its online general assembly meeting last Wednesday to take a common stand and urge government authorities, including officials of the Philippine Sports Commission, to allow national athletes to resume actual training.
Athletics chief Philip Ella Juico yesterday said the assembly unanimously adopted the plan of muay thai secretary general Pearl Managuelod to form a task force that would gather all of their proposals and present it to the PSC and Inter-Agency Task Force in charge of the virus crisis.
As the Philippine Athletics Track and Field Association president, Juico noted that as early as June he and some other sports such as gymnastics, rugby, volleyball and football had sent requests to the PSC and the IATF to allow their athletes to return to training, with health and safety protocols in place.
He lamented that there has been no response to their petition so far.
“With a strong collective voice, perhaps our government will be more responsive to the training needs of our national athletes. They are anxious about getting back to the gym and working out,” said POC first vice president and volleyball head Joey Romasanta.
All of the national athletes based in the country have not had actual workouts and merely have had online physical and conditioning classes with their respective NSAs since the government locked down the country in mid-March in the early stages of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Even Olympic-bound boxer Eumir Felix Marcial complained of inactivity for the past seven months. He will finally be able to return to the gym when he leaves for the US within the week to begin his pro career under the supervision of American MP Promotions chief Sean Gibbons.