THE NCAA Management Committee is set to tackle today a proposed ruling that will allow its players to still suit up in the league even after getting drafted and signed up in the PBA next year.
A highly-reliable Malaya-Business Insight source said only one in the 10-member ManCom is opposing the new ruling but refused to name the official.
“Isa lang naman ang kumi-kuwestiyon doon. Ang sabi ko, tulugan mo iyan, pag-aralan mong mabuti iyong epekto at benepisyo para sa mga atleta natin,” the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said.
“This Thursday (today), ang sabi ko tapusin na natin iyan, kung gusto niyo, sige, kung ayaw niyo, huwag. Isa lang naman iyong kumokontra, siguro wala siyang player na maglalaro sa PBA.”
The source explained the possibility of the NCAA kicking off its 96th season and the PBA holding its annual Draft on March 14, 2021 at the same time prompted the need for a new ruling.
“Hindi naman kasi nauuna iyong NCAA sa PBA previously. Naka-timing talaga kami na pagkatapos ng season namin, maglalaro sila sa PBA. Hindi kagaya ng UAAP na may mga 10 months na tulog ang mga bata bago mag-PBA kasi nauuna iyong start ng PBA kaysa sa end ng UAAP, sa drafting I mean,” the source said.
“Iyon ang ruling namin previously, walang problema. Ngayon lang nagka-problema kasi mukhang mauuna iyong draft ng PBA kaysa sa season ng NCAA.”
Based on a long-standing rule, NCAA players could finish the season provided they ask permission from the league, they have not yet signed a contract in the PBA, and their teams are already eliminated.
The source insisted that should the recommendation get the nod from the Policy Board the PBA and its teams will still have the final say.