Kobe to Sotto bashers: Support, don’t criticize

    192

    SUPPORT him please, and don’t criticize.

    This was stressed by University of the Philippines star forward Kobe Paras, who backed up Kai Sotto’s decisions that have drawn flak recently.

    “I will not tolerate any Kai Sotto slander. Instead of talking bad about him and his handlers, why not wait for the final word?” Paras said on his Twitter account.

    “Why not just support him and his dreams no matter what?” he added.

    The 7-foot-3 Sotto and his management group East West Private came under fire after the lanky center left Ignite in the NBA G League and returned to the Philippines last Feb. 2 to suit up for Gilas Pilipinas for the third window of the FIBA Asia Cup qualifiers.

    Sotto is toughening up in the United States in his bid to become the first homegrown Filipino to play in the NBA.

    Doha’s hosting of the final window of the qualifiers was canceled due to the outbreak of the new strain of the deadly COVID-19, however.

    While Clark was given back the hosting duties by FIBA, the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas has yet to get the go-signal from the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging and Infectious Diseases.

    With the schedule of the Clark window still to be determined, the SBP also deemed it best for Sotto to leave.

    He returned to the US last Feb. 14 to rejoin the pioneering squad but his stint in the G League is still hanging in the air.

    Paras said people should not talk bad about Sotto, who is only 18 years old.

    “Most of y’all opinions don’t matter. My guy is 18 (years old),” Paras said.

    “How foolish y’all look talking bad about a teen.”

    Sotto left the Philippines in 2019 to train at the Atlanta-based The Skills Factory and was signed up by the select team in May last year.