Gray sticks to rules in pro league bid

    535

    RULES are not made to be broken.

    Although admitting he was frustrated when he was deemed ineligible in the PBA 46th season rookie draft last March 14, Fil-Am guard Jeremiah Gray wants to make the jump to pro league fairly and squarely.

    “It’s obviously frustrating but rules are rules and at least we still get a chance to play in the country, in the PBA, even though it’s 3-on-3 it’s still an opportunity to play in the main league in the Philippines so hopefully it does lead to the 5-on-5,” Gray said in a recent episode of Tiebreakertimes’ 2OT podcast.

    “I will be going through the same process I did last year when I was here to make sure everything’s right with my papers and hopefully everything just goes smooth and it will be a good year,” he added.

    The 6-foot-6 Gray gets a chance to prove his worth after he was signed to a one-year contract by TNT for the inaugural season of the PBA 3×3 tourney.

    He was among the four highly-touted Fil-foreigners, along with Jason Brickman, Brandon Ganuelas-Rosser, and Taylor Statham, who failed to submit their Department of Justice affirmations and Bureau of Immigration certifications that would have made them eligible for the proceedings held online.

    Tyrus Hill, John Paul Gulfo, and Christopher Cancio were the other Fil-foreigners who did not complete their requirements.

    Rules are more relaxed on Fil-foreign players in 3×3 play unlike in the regular 5-on-5.
    Gray is convinced he will make it in next year’s draft.

    “I’m hoping to get my papers processed and finished finally. I don’t think I will have too much trouble as far as being eligible because the only problem with my papers is the difference in my mom’s last name and her dad’s last name spelled differently by one letter so that’s the only reason why I wasn’t eligible this year,” Gray said.