WITH the COVID-19 pandemic still persisting the PBA does not know yet if and when its season resumes.
But it already has some protocols in place, just in case.
PBA Commissioner Willie Marcial said some strict safety measures would be enforced once the government has a firmer grip on the pandemic, finally allows sports-related mass gatherings and fans are allowed to watch the games.
The wearing of face masks, physical distancing for fans, regularly sanitizing the venue facilities and, above all else, testing of all persons involved would be implemented once the PBA, put on hold since March 11, tries to salvage at least part of its severely-disrupted Season 45.
“Kami ‘yung sa mga dugouts ng teams dapat disinfected and kailangan malinis bago pumasok ang mga teams,” said Marcial while saying such steps would be done in coordination with the GAB.
“Kailangan na-temperature check lahat ng tao na allowed and na-spray-an na rin mga dugouts, pati mga gamit doon,” added Marcial.
“Tapos may mga disinfecting mats din sa entrance ng dugoutsfor the shoes ng mga player at personnel na papasok. At saka may security measures din sa venue, tulad ng lahat ng first row, dapat bakante, walang uupo doon.”
Marcial spoke after a brief visit to his office in Libis, Quezon City last Monday where he convened the PBA management committee to discuss the new protocols.
Also according to Marcial, some adjustments must be made by his 41-member staff when the modified enhanced community quarantine currently enforced in Metro Manila is eased.
“Magkakaroon kami ng shifting,” said Marcial. “Currently, skeletal force lang nandoon pero once na medyo lumuwag na kalahati-kalahati ng staff ang mag-ma-man ng office.”
Tentative date of the Commissioner’s Office returning to normal operations is either on the last week of May or the first week of June.
The PBA Board is also set to conduct an online meeting in August to determine the next steps the league is taking.