IT’S clear the chances of some of the bidders to host the PBA bubble are bigger than others.
Bu all would be given equal chances to be heard when Commissioner Willie Marcial presents everything contained in the prospective hosts’ proposals to the PBA Board in its meeting later this week.
“Para maging fair sa bawa’t isa, lahat ng nag-propose i-pe-present ko sa Board,” Marcial told Malaya-Business Insight.
“May recommendation ako, pero sa huli na iyon at kung tatanungin lang ako,” added Marcial. “Ipapasa ko muna sa Board, ‘Eto ‘yung sa rooms, eto ino-offer ‘yung ballroom, eto mag-re-renta, eto maglalagay ng tent.’ Wala akong iiitsa-pwera. Lahat kasali.
“Basta ilalatag ko sa Board para sila mag-evaluate, tapos mag-decide.”
According to Marcial, two more bidders sent in their respective proposals over the weekend, bringing to 16 the number of bidders so far.
Marcial declined to identify the hotels that have so far made their representations to the PBA, but did let on that majority of them are situated in Metro Manila.
“Di bababa sa sampu,” was all Marcial offered.
The PBA had previously pointed to the Clark and Subic Freeport Zones, Inspire Sports Academy in Laguna, El Nido in Palawan, Baguio City, Dubai and Smart Araneta Coliseum as probable bubble sites.
The hotels are at or near said projected bubble sites and should be rightfully interested due to the lack or total absence of guests amidst the restricted travel enforced by the government.
“Ang karaniwang pitch nga nila, magtulungan ang PBA at sila,” related Marcial, who earlier said a PBA bubble involves up to 400 personnel.
The PBA is eyeing an NBA-style bubble concept to lessen the risk of the players and other involved personnel from the coronavirus pandemic and finish out Philippine Cup.
After allowing the 12 teams to conduct individual conditioning workouts starting last Aug. 25, the PBA wants to start conducting full team scrimmages by the middle of this month.