PNP chief Debold Sinas yesterday said he is happy but ashamed that President Duterte has defended him from the “mananita” controversy that continues to hound him.
“I would like to thank the President for the trust and confidence,” Sinas said during flag-raising rites at the PNP national headquarters in Camp Crame.
Sinas was named the new PNP chief Tuesday last week, replacing now retired Gen. Camilo Cascolan. His appointment was met with criticisms, mainly for the mananita controversy last May that involved him and 18 of his subordinates at the National Capital Region Command.
The mananita was held to celebrate the 55th birthday of Sinas, then the NCRPO chief.
Several health protocols were violated during the mananita, or birthday serenade, including wearing of mask and observance of physical distancing.
Sinas and his subordinates face charges lodged before the Taguig City prosecutors office.
The PNP Internal Affairs Service has also initiated administrative investigation against Sinas and his men.
Duterte said on Saturday said it was not the fault of Sinas if his men arranged the mananita, adding he was going to pardon Sinas if he is found guilty.
“Ako po ay parang nahihiya kay President, dinipensahan niya po ulit ako tungkol po doon sa mananita. (I am some sort of ashamed to the President, he defended me again regarding the mananita),” said Sinas.
Duterte also defended Sinas from the controversy last May and retained him as NCRPO chief. Back then, Duterte then said Sinas is a “good” and “honest” officer and he is not to be blame for the mananita.
“I have mixed feelings. Natuwa ako pero at the same time nahihiya. (I have mixed feelings. I am happy but at the same time ashamed),” said Sinas.
“I am very happy for the support of the President for me as his chief PNP. Thank you very much Mr. President. Rest assured of our best in police service,” Sinas also said.
Sinas urged all policemen, from Camp Crame down to the police community precincts, to perform their job for the country.