Sinas: Cops in Sulu rubout in talks with PNP for surrender


    AT least five of the nine policemen involved in the murder of four Army intelligence personnel in Jolo, Sulu last year have signified their intention to surrender, PNP chief Gen. Debold Sinas said yesterday.

    Sinas made the statement during an ambush interview in Pasay City, six days after a Sulu court issued an warrant for the arrest of the Jolo policemen.

    The policemen were released from detention in Camp Crame earlier this month after they were terminated from the service. Sinas has said the PNP cannot keep the nine under its custody without an arrest warrant, or it could be charged for arbitrary detention.

    Asked if the PNP has arrested any of the nine following the issuance of the arrest warrant, Sinas said: “Actually we are talking with them. I think they are five to six who already want to surrender and we are negotiating.”

    Sinas declined to name the five or six suspects who intend to surrender until the negotiations are already over.

    “Hopefully by next week, we’ll have a clearer picture, before the end of week we’ll know who are those who want to be placed under the custody of the PNP,” said Sinas.

    Sinas implied the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARRM), the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group, and the Intelligence Group are involved in the negotiations.

    The nine are facing murder and planting of evidence charges for the killing of Maj. Marvin Indamog, Capt. Irwin Managuelod, Sgt. Jaime Velasco, and Cpl. Corporal Abdal Asula in Jolo, Sulu in June last year.

    The nine policemen are Senior Master Sgt. Abdelzhimar Padjiri, Master Sgt. Hanie Baddiri, Staff Sergeants Iskandar Susulan and Ernisar Sappal, Cpl. Sulki M Andaki, and Pat. Moh. Nur Pasani, all members of the Jolo Municipal Police Station Alert Team; and Staff Sgt. Almudzrin Hadjaruddin and Patrolmen Alkajal Mandangan and Rajiv Putalan of the Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit.

    The four soldiers were flagged down by the policemen as they were tracking a group of Abu Sayyaf bombers. Since they were in civilian clothes and could not immediately present identification cards, the soldiers were told to proceed to the police station. They were shot by the policemen shortly after parking about 50 meters from the station.