PH sets new record-high of 6,352 COVID-19 cases

    385
    T3 strategy. A woman gets tested at the Philippine Arena, a mega swabbing center tapped under the government’s test, trace and treat strategy to combat the spread of COVID-19. (Photo by BCDA Public Affairs).
    Testing facilities at the Philippine Arena. (Photo courtesy of BCDA-PA)

    OVER 6,000 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases, a new record high, were reported by the Department of Health (DOH) on Tuesday, indicating there was no slowing down the deadly virus even as Metro Manila and four other nearby provinces shifted to the stricter modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) classification.

    In its latest bulletin, the DOH reported 6,352 new cases, surpassing the previous high of 5,032 reported just last Sunday, and bringing the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country to 112,593.

    Of the new cases reported, majority came from the National Capital Region (NCR) with 3,139 while the rest were from Laguna (592), Cavite (550), Rizal (277), and Cebu (261).

    The 11 more deaths brought to 2,115 the lives already claimed by the deadly virus. The new deaths were from Central Visayas (5 or 45%), Davao Region (2 or 18%), Zamboanga Peninsula (2 or 18%), Calabarzon (1 or 9%), and NCR (1 or 9%).

    Of the 11 deaths, one (9%) happened in August, eight (73%) in July, one (9%) in June, and one (9%) in May.

    The DOH said 240 new recoveries were recorded, bringing to 66,049 the total number of survivors.

    Globally, as of August 3, there are now 17,918,582 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 686,703 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.

    OVERSEAS PINOYS

    Ten more overseas Filipinos have been infected with COVID-19 but the Department of Foreign received no new reports of fatalities.

    The 10 new cases in Asia and the Pacific and Europe brought the number of overseas Filipinos infected with the virus since its outbreak to 9,607 in 71 countries.

    The DFA also reported 28 new recoveries, raising the number of overseas survivors to 5,681 while 3, 233 are still being treated.

    There are 6, 795 COVID cases among Filipinos in the Middle East and African regions, with 417 deaths; followed by Europe with 1,116 cases and 95 deaths.

    Though the Asia Pacific region now has more confirmed cases at 934 compared to 762 cases in America, it had far fewer deaths with only six compared to 175 with the latter.

    PCOO

    The Presidential Communications Operations Office (PCOO) reported 77 total confirmed cases of COVID-19 in its office and the different attached agencies under it.

    The PCOO said there were 71 active cases, three recovered patients and three deaths due to the deadly virus.

    The number of confirmed cases jumped to 77 after 32 cases were confirmed in the National Printing Office (NPO) after the results of the RT-PCR or swab testing on its personnel last week were released Monday.

    The NPO, which prints government receipts and ballots, among others, had been on lockdown since Monday until August 16.

    The PCOO main office recorded 27 active cases and one death; state network PTV-4 recorded PTV five active cases, one recovered, one death; APO printing reported three active cases and one death; Radio Television Malacañang (RTVM) reported three active cases, and Philippine Information Agency recorded one active and two recovered cases.

    The PCOO offices, mostly located at the New Executive Building, have been on indefinite lockdown while PTV4 is on limited operations until August 9. PIA’s central office is shut down until August 15, while the RTVM main office within the Malacañang complex, has also closed down its office until August 11.

    CONGRESS

    At the House of Representatives, two additional COVID cases were reported on Tuesday, bringing the total number of those who got infected to 33.

    House Secretary General Joel Montales said one of the two is a member of the security staff who tested positive when he underwent rapid antibody test as part of the screening protocol for President Duterte’s State of the Nation Address (SONA) last July 27.

    “His RT-PCR test confirmed the result. Prior to July 27, he helped secure the plenary hall on July 21 and 23,” Montales said.

    He said the second one is an employee assigned at the administrative department who got herself tested on August 1 after experiencing “dryness and discomfort in her throat.”

    She reported for work on July 15 and 16 and consulted with the Medical and Dental Services on July 29, which has prompted contact tracing. – With Wendell Vigilia, Ashzel Hachero and Jocelyn Montemayor