FOR the fourth straight day, the Department of Health (DOH) announced record setting numbers for coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases, with the Philippine total surging past the 100,000-mark.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH reported 5,032 new cases Sunday, higher than the previous record high of 4,963 new cases reported just last Saturday.
Counting the 4,063 cases on Friday and 3,954 cases on Thursday, the total number of COVID-19 cases in the country has spiked to 103,185 just two days into August.
Last month, the University of the Philippines OCTA Research Team predicted the country may reach more than 100,000 cases by the end of August.
Of the new cases, majority came from the National Capital Region (NCR) with 2,737, followed by Cavite (463), Cebu (449), Laguna (326), and Rizal (201).
The DOH also reported 20 new deaths, meaning the deadly virus has now claimed the lives of 2,059. The new deaths were from Central Visayas (15 or 75%), NCR (4 or 20%), and Calabarzon (1 or 5%).
Of the 20 deaths, 14 (70%) happened in July, 3 (15%) in June, and 3 (15%) in May.
There were 301 new recoveries, raising the number of survivors to 65,557.
Globally, as of August 1, there were 17,396,943 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 675,060 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.
The number of overseas Filipinos infected with COVID-19 since it outbreak is nearing the 10,000 mark, with the Department of Foreign Affairs saying 13 more were added to the list yesterday.
Data provided by the DFA showed that 9,569 Filipinos in 71 countries have been infected with the virus, with 5, 572 having recovered and 3,326 still being treated.
No new fatality was reported.
The number of overseas Filipinos who have succumbed to the deadly virus as of August stands at 671.
The DFA said 6, 670 Filipinos in the Middle East/African regions have been infected while 395 have died.
In Europe, the number is 1,111 cases and 95 deaths and 762 cases and 175 deaths in the Americas.
In Asia and the Pacific region, the number of Filipinos with COVID-19 increased to 926 but the number of fatalities remained at 6.
The 13 new COVID cases yesterday all came from the Asia Pacific region.
Meanwhile, retired Caloocan Bishop Deogracias Iñiguez became the second prelate in the country to contract the dreaded disease.
Caloocan Bishop Pablo David said his predecessor has tested positive for COVID-19.
“I announced it at Mass today so people could join us in praying for his recovery. He’s the bishop emeritus of Caloocan,” David said, adding Iñiguez is currently in isolation in an undisclosed hospital.
Iñiguez served as Caloocan bishop from 2003 until 2013; he retired at the age of 72 in January 2013.
Last month, Manila Apostolic Administrator Bishop Broderick Pabillo became the first prelate in the Philippines to be afflicted with COVID-19.
On Sunday, Pabillo announced that he had been declared COVID-19 free.
In his message read during the mass at the Manila Cathedral, Pabillo thanked the faithful for praying for his speedy recovery.
“I don’t have any symptoms and, by the grace of God, I am now COVID-19 free based on my second swab test this week,” said Pabillo.
He said he is looking forward to celebrating Holy Mass next Sunday. Pabillo’s message was read by Paco Church parish priest Carmelo Jek Arada.
Makati City has 38 new cases of COVID-19, bringing the total number to 2,153 as of Sunday.
According to the city’s health department, there were two new fatalities yesterday, raising the death toll to 132 while the number recoveries increased to 1,003 from 977.
Makati Mayor Abby Binay said Barangay Pio Del Pilar has the highest number of new cases, with 14 more residents confirmed positive Sunday. – With Ashzel Hachero and Noel Talacay