OFW wins rape case in Kuwait, back in PH

    852

    A FILIPINA worker who won a rape case in Kuwait years ago is finally back in the country.

    A statement released by the Department of Labor and Employment quoted labor attaché Nasser Mustafa as saying the worker, identified only as “Minerva,” flew home on Sunday after staying for eight years at the Migrant Workers and Other Filipino Resource Center in Kuwait.

    “The longest-staying distressed worker in the government’s halfway house in Kuwait finally went home on Sunday after winning her case against a Kuwaiti policeman, who raped her eight years ago,” said Mustafa.

    Mustafa said the policeman, after two years of trial, was sentenced to death in June 2014 by the Court of First Instance. Upon appeal, the sentence was commuted to life imprisonment by the Kuwait Court of Appeals.

    Minerva was eventually awarded civil damages amounting to P3 million.

    Mustafa said Minerva, who hails from Polomolok in South Cotabato, waited for the resolution of her case in Kuwait until last week while staying at the OFW halfway house.

    She was repatriated along with 76 wards of the halfway house via Kuwait Airways.

    Minerva was deployed to Kuwait by the Zontar Manpower Services Inc. as a domestic worker back in September 2006. She was later transferred to work in a dress shop located in Farwaniya.

    While her residence visa was still up for renewal by her employer, she was supposedly caught by a Kuwaiti policeman in September 2012.

    But instead of bringing her to the police station, she was driven to a dessert in South Surra, where she was raped inside the police patrol car and stabbed in the neck and back.

    Minerva managed to crawl to a roadside where she was found by a passing car and brought to the Mubarak Hospital.

    The Philippines in 2018 banned the deployment of Filipinos to Kuwait because of continued abuses and maltreatment of workers in Kuwait.