CABINET Secretary Karlo Nograles said the opening of classes in the elementary and high school levels had been pushed back to October due to some challenges in the blended learning preparations, along with the imposition of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) in Metro Manila and the provinces of Bulacan, Cavite, Laguna and Rizal.
Nograles, in a Facebook Live post, said the MECQ status was just “one factor” but DepEd needed to ensure that when classes start, all public schools in the country would start at the same time so no one would be left behind.
DepEd deferred the opening of classes in public schools from August 24 to October 5.
Private schools that had already started classes in the past weeks or set to open on August 24 may proceed with their operations.
Nograles said the deferment until October 5 would give DepEd more time to ensure that preparations in public schools, including the distribution of learning modules and books that would be used in blended learning scheme, would proceed smoothly.