FOR the fourth straight day, new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases surged past the 2,000 mark while 29 more patients succumbed to the deadly virus, according to the Department of Health.
In its latest bulletin yesterday, the DOH reported 2,113 new cases, raising the total number of infections in the country to 576,352 while the death toll now stands at 12,318 for a case fatality rate of 2.14 percent.
Last Thursday, there were 2,269 new infections that rose to 2,651 on Friday and 2,921 on Saturday.
There were 9,418 new recoveries, meaning the number of survivors has risen to 534,271.
But there remained 29,763 active cases, of which 88.7 percent are mild cases, 5.3 percent asymptomatic cases, 2.6 percent critical cases, 2.5 percent severe cases, and 0.93 percent moderate cases.
Only one new case was reported among overseas Filipinos yesterday, bringing to 14,897 the confirmed cases, with 9,379 having recovered.
The Department of Foreign Affairs reported no new death.
The Manila Health Department reported 86 new cases, bringing to 495 the number of active cases in the city. There were 66 new recoveries and no new deaths.
San Fernando, Pampanga Archbishop Florentino Lavarias has tested positive for the deadly virus, becoming the 9th member of the Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines to contract the disease.
“The archbishop remains in stable condition,” said San Fernando Archbishop Vicar General Francis Dizon.
Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, who is on leave for over a month now, will not yet report for work today as he continues to recover from his infection.
“The doctors have yet to give him clearance to return to work. Will advise once he is cleared,” DILG Undersecretary and spokesman Jonathan Malaya said of Año, a key member of the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases.
Año, 59, a former Armed Forces chief, contracted the virus twice last year. He went on leave last month as part of his medical recovery treatment. – With Ashzel Hachero and victor reyes