AFTER several days of just over 2,000 infections, the Department of Health reported 3,564 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases yesterday, raising concerns of an impending spike in infections anew.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said majority of the new cases came from the National Capital Region (1,344), with Cavite reporting 215, Laguna 212, Rizal 211, and Iloilo 164.
There was no immediate explanation from the DOH why the number of new cases has risen.
Overall, the total number of infections in the country rose to 342,816 while there were 11 more deaths, raising the number of fatalities to 6,332.
Four of the new deaths came from Davao Region while CALABARZON had 3 and Ilocos Region 2.
There were 150 new recoveries, meaning the number of survivors has risen to 293,152.
Globally, as of October 11, there were 37,109,851 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 1,070,355 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.
The Department of Foreign Affairs also reported a big spike in the number of overseas Filipinos infected with the deadly virus with 213 new cases. This came after only two new cases were reported on Sunday.
The number of overseas Filipinos infected with the virus rose from 10,869 as of Sunday to 11,082.
The DFA said 7,136 already recovered from the virus.
Only one new overseas death was reported yesterday from the Middle East, bringing the total death toll so far among overseas Filipinos to 802.
The Middle East and African regions led in terms of cases and deaths with 7,347 and 520, respectively, while the Asia Pacific region reported 1,716 cases and 9 deaths while there were 1,209 cases and 95 deaths in Europe.
The Americas reported 810 cases and 178 deaths. – With Ashzel Hachero