Military report: 83 dead, 505 hurt in Abu Sayyaf attacks since 2009

    1140

    EIGHTY-THREE civilians and government soldiers have been killed and 505 others were injured in bombings perpetrated by the terrorist Abu Sayyaf group since 2009, the Armed Forces said yesterday.

    The civilian and government casualties were from 47 attacks carried out by the Abu Sayyaf, mostly in Sulu, Basilan, and Zamboanga provinces, said Capt. Jonathan Zata, chief of the Armed Forces public affairs office.

    “Military records show that the ASG committed 47 incidents using improvised explosive devices throughout the period mostly in Sulu, Basilan and Zamboanga. These incidents killed 20 and wounded 70 from the AFP while 63 civilians lost their lives and 435 wounded,” said Zata.

    The most recent Abu Sayyaf attack was the twin suicide bombings in Jolo, Sulu on August 24 that left eight soldiers, six civilians and a policemen dead and 74 others injured. Two female suicide bombers also died in the attacks.

    Zata said six of these bombing attacks occurred in Sulu last year, particularly in the towns of Jolo, Indanan and Patikul. The nine attacks left 31 troops and civilians dead and 136 others injured.

    AFP chief Gen. Gilbert Gapay said the rising number of Abu Sayyaf bombings warrants the need to step up the country’s fight against the Abu Sayyaf and other terrorist groups which are all based in Mindanao.