Lacson: Anyone in charge in fight against COVID?

    339

    SEN. Panfilo Lacson yesterday said Filipinos cannot feel someone is in charge in the fight against the pandemic now that number of new COVID-19 cases has consistently been on the rise.

    “The coronavirus has gone berserk. While it is on ‘at-will’ mode, we are like, on autopilot.

    We can’t feel someone is in charge. Sobrang malas (Very unlucky)),” Lacson said in a tweet amid the continuing spike in COVID-19 cases despite the imposition of the enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) status on the National Capital Region, Bulacan, Laguna, Rizal and Cavite (“NCR Plus”), the epicenter of COVID cases.

    Last Friday, the country recorded its all-time high of 15,310 new infections, surpassing the previous high of 10,016 new cases on March 29.

    Lacson said the Senate has done everything in its limited capacity to help improve the government’s COVID response but apparently the government should do more.

    At the onslaught of the pandemic on April last year, 14 senators passed a resolution urging Health Secretary Francisco Duque III to vacate his position for what they said was his “failure of leadership, negligence, lack of foresight, and inefficiency” in the fight against the pandemic.

    To help the government, senators passed the Bayanihan to Heal as One Act (Bayanihan 1) and Bayanihan to Recover as Once Act (Bayanihan 2) to give President Duterte emergency powers to fight the pandemic.

    With senators’ limited capacity, Lacson said, all they can do is to recommend to the national government ways to help in the pandemic response.

    “We have repeatedly urged the President to change the crew, or at least the captain, even passed a resolution in this regard; exposed shenanigans in many investigations in almost every aspect of the handling of the pandemic; passed urgent legislation and I don’t know what else,” he said.