FIFTY-NINE more deaths were reported by the Department of Health (DOH) yesterday, raising the number of new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) fatalities to 5,562, while there were 2,415 new cases.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said 930 of the new cases were from the National Capital Region (NCR) while Cavite had 238, Rizal 128, Laguna 123, and Negros Occidental 103.
Overall, the total number of infections in the country rose to 314,079.
Majority of the new deaths were recorded in NCR with 26. Other deaths were reported from Central Visayas (7), Western Visayas (6), and Ilocos Region (5).
The DOH said there were 771 new recoveries, meaning the number of survivors has risen to 254,223.
Globally, as of September 30, there were 33,502,430 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 1,004,421 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.
Five more overseas Filipinos were infected with the deadly virus, bringing the total number so far to 10,539 in 78 countries, the Department of Foreign Affairs said yesterday.
After two days of no new deaths, the DFA said a Filipino in Africa died of the virus, bringing to 793 the overall number of fatalities overseas due to the virus.
Of the 793 deaths, 512 occurred in the Middle East and African regions, 178 in the Americas, 95 in Europe and 8 in the Asia Pacific region.
The DFA said of the 10,539 overseas Filipinos infected with the virus since its outbreak, 6,745 have recovered.
The Middle East and African region have the highest number of COVID cases among members of the overseas Filipino community with 7,099, followed by Asia and the Pacific with 1,431, Europe with 1,199 and 810 in the Americas. – With Ashzel Hachero