Improvised weapons confiscated at NBP


    MORE than 400 improvised weapons and blunt instruments were confiscated from inmates at the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City on Monday as the Bureau of Corrections heightened security measures in the wake of the deadly brawl between two warring gangs last Friday that left nine inmates dead and seven others injured.

    BuCor spokesman Gabriel Chaclag said the intensified “Oplan Galugad” operation was conducted by a composite team from the BuCor, Muntinlupa City police, Bureau of Jail Management and Penology, PNP-SAF, Crowd Disturbance Management units and the NCRPO Regional Mobile Force Battalion.

    Chaclag said the operation was conducted at the NBP’ Quadrants 4 and 3 at the maximum security compound which includes Quadrant East, Bldg. 4 and Quadrant 3, Quadrant South, Bldg.8.

    “Buildings 5 and 8 including its surrounding areas were targeted as persistent intelligence reports continue to come in that bladed weapons are being strategically stored in these areas to be used as deadly weapons by violent members of the warring groups Sigue Sigue Sputnik and Sigue Sigue Commando gangs,” the BuCor said.

    Chaglag said the improvised weapons were discovered in various corners and compartments of the inmates’ detention cells and temporary shelters, while some were also buried.

    “This search operation is a strong message delivered to these two groups creating violence and distraction inside the prison that such criminal behavior and illegal activities need to be stopped at all cost,” the BuCor said.

    Chaclag said Oplan Galugad operations will continue until normalcy returns to the national penitentiary and all prohibited items are confiscated.

    Seven of the inmates killed in the riot were members of Sigue Sigue Sputnik while the two others were from Sigue Sigue Commando.

    Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra wants a more thorough report from the BuCor on the deadly brawl last Friday, giving BuCor chief Gerald Bantag five days to submit a report.

    “BuCor gave me a partial report yesterday (Monday), but I told them to investigate more thoroughly,” Guevarra said, adding the initial report merely described what happened.

    “What I want to know is how such a violent incident could happen in the wee hours of the morning and last for hours, and why the prison authorities failed to detect and prevent such a huge gang war that left many inmates dead and injured,” he added.

    Guevarra said the National Bureau of Investigation has also started its own probe on the incident.