CUSTOMS chief Rey Leonardo Guerrero will keep his post as head of the Bureau of Customs (BOC) but he needs to get tough on officials suspected to have long been engaged in corrupt activities, President Duterte said on Monday night.
The President said he wants Guerrero to focus on the removal of officials whose names have been appearing in corruption reports for several years now.
In a chance interview after his visit to the Philippine Marines headquarters where he conferred awards and turned over new firearms to troops were part of the Marawi operations, Duterte said he was satisfied with the overall performance of Guerrero at the BOC.
“I’m satisfied with Gen. Guerrero (so) he stays there. There are still some complaints, so I’ll talk to him, lalo na iyung mga tao na sinabi ko na paalisin na niya (… Especially those people that I have told him should have already been removed.) Some of them are lingering there,” he said.
Duterte said the corrupt customs personnel he wants removed have been with the BOC for the past 20 to 25 years.
“So sabihin ko kay Jagger (Guerrero), alisin mo na iyan kasi iyan ‘yung mga tao na who have been there for 25 years, 20 years, puro corruption ang ginawa (So I will tell Jagger to remove them because these people who have been there for 25 years, 20 years, do nothing but engage in corruption),” he added.
Reports have recently come out that the President was considering Special Envoy to China William Lima to replace Guerrero but Malacañang last week belied the reports.