Gov’t hiring 15K more contact tracers

    411

    PRESIDENTIAL spokesman Harry Roque yesterday said the government is hiring at least 15,000 more contact tracers to help in efforts to trace the infected or had been exposed to persons who were found positive for the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

    He said that based on the records of the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG), 35,345 contact tracers had been hired as of October 16. He said the agency is still looking for 15,000 more to complete its target of hiring 50,000 contact tracers.

    Roque made the statement following a Social Weather Station survey that showed 67 percent of Filipinos found the government’s contact tracing efforts “adequate.” The same survey said 23 percent found the government’s contact tracing efforts “inadequate,” resulting in a +43 net adequacy rating.

    He said Malacanang welcomed the SWS survey that also showed that 71 percent of Filipinos believe the government adequately ensured that the public gets enough information on the campaign against COVID-19.

    On the SWS results that showed 46 percent found the government effort to help the people who have lost their jobs and livelihood “inadequate,” Roque said this is the reason why the government had been pushing for the reopening of the economy.

    He reiterated that the Filipinos should learn to live with COVID-19.

    He said the Inter-Agency Task Force on the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF) had allowed the increased operational capacities of some business establishments or activities in areas under the general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified general community quarantine (MGCQ), while more routes for public transportation had been opened to accommodate more passengers.