PRESIDENT Duterte on Monday night said he wants the Kuwaiti government to impose the maximum penalty of death against the persons behind the killing of Filipina worker Jeanelyn Villavende last year.
The President, in a press conference in Malacañang, said he wants to personally discuss Villavende’s case with Kuwaiti authorities, including the fate of her employers who have been charged with murder in connection with her death.
“They have arrested the couple and undergoing trial. And while undergoing trial, they are detained inside the jail. To me that is good justice. And if they can follow it through in accordance with their laws… I will ask for the maximum. I want their executioner to cut off the heads of those who are responsible for the death of the Filipina,” Duterte said.
Villavende was killed in Kuwait in December 2019. Autopsy reports showed that she suffered from physical abuse and may have even been sexually abused.
Chief Presidential Legal Counsel Salvador Panelo, concurrent spokesman, said there is still no schedule as to when the President would visit Kuwait.
Acknowledging the current travel ban imposed by Kuwait against several countries including the Philippines, due to the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19), Panelo said a possible exemption of the President can be discussed “government to government.”