DSWD says 3.5M ‘left out’ families to get May cash aid

    409
    Patiently waiting. Mandaluyong residents seat on the sidewalk while maintaining social distancing as they patiently await their turn to get their hands on the second tranche of the SSS cash grant at a nearby remittance center. (Photo by Rhoy Cobilla)

    THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) yesterday validated the inclusion of 3.5 million poor families as eligible beneficiaries of the May tranche of the emergency cash subsidy of its Social Amelioration Program (SAP).

    The 3.5 million additional beneficiaries are among the five million “left out” low income families that President Duterte ordered to be included in the DSWD list. The total number

    These families, plus another 1.5 million households, will likewise get their April share of the cash aid.

    The DSWD said the 1.5 million families are no longer eligible to get the May tranche because their province or city was already under general community quarantine (GCQ) by May 1.

    Executive Order No. 112 issued on May 1 and a memoranda issued by Executive Secretary on May 2 stated that the second tranche of the emergency finance subsidy would only be given to families living in areas still under enhanced community quarantine (ECQ) or modified ECQ (MECQ).

    The areas included in the May payout are Metro Manila, Central Luzon except Aurora, Calabarzon, the provinces of Benguet, Pangasinan, Iloilo, Cebu and Albay; and the cities of Bacolod, Davao, and Zamboanga.

    The DSWD, in its website’s Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on SAP, said total qualified recipients of the May tranche of the cash aid is now at 13.5 million low income households composed of 8.5 million families that were part of the 18 million families that received the first tranche released in April, and the 3.5 million targeted families.

    The DSWD said it has already identified and validated 4.7 million of the left out families as of June 4.

    No date had been mentioned as to when the second tranche of SAP or payout for May would be released. DSWD Secretary Rolando Bautista has said they were eyeing to start the distribution of the second tranche last week. He later said they have to defer the release as they were still awaiting the approval by Congress of the bill that extending the validity of the Bayanihan Act for another three months.

    DSWD also said it is still waiting for the submission of the liquidation reports and lists of beneficiaries for the first tranche that local government units (LGUs) have yet to complete.

    As of June 4, the DSWD has completed the payout of the April tranche to 1,536 of 1634 LGUSs nationwide. Of this, only 807 have completed the submission of their liquidation reports and lists of SAP recipients, while 257 had submitted a partial report and list. The other LGUs that have yet to complete their liquidation reports are already between 92.3 to 99.9 percent of completion.

    It added that P99.8 billion had already been distributed to 17.6 million families or 98.4 percent of the targeted 18 million families.

    DSWD said that based on its list of partial returned SAP, P15.862 million had been returned by 2,857 individuals/families from 12 provinces due to double entry or duplication, or some have already received subsidy from other agencies.

    It said the returned subsidies will be added to the SAP fund for the second tranche.
    Based on DSWD data, the partial returned SAP include 1,289 who returned P6,000 (P7.734 million); 1,138 who returned P5,500 (P6.259 million); 222 who returned P5,000 (P1.11 million); and 208 who returned P3,650 (P759,200).

    It added that Davao del Sur returned the highest amount with P7.734 million from 1,289 recipients; followed by La Union with P2.145 million from 390 recipients, Pangasinan with P2.112 million from 384 recipients, Ilocos Sur with P1.94 million from 199 recipients, Ilocos Norte with P907,500 from 165 recipients, Surigao del Sur with P315,000 from 129 recipients, Zamboanga del Norte with P505,000 from 101 recipients, Surigao del Norte with P284,000 from 73, Agusan Del Norte with P245,450 from 58 recipients, Dinagat with P166,550 from 39 recipients, Agusan del Sur with P102,200 from 28 recipients, and Zamboanga del Sur with P10,000 from two recipients.

    The amounts returned were between P3,650 and P6,000. The recipients of the P3,650 are Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino program (4Ps) beneficiaries who received the amount on top of their regular monthly subsidy of P1,350.