DOJ: ‘Sudden surge’ in corruption complaints

    469

    THERE was a “sudden surge” in the number of complaints filed with the Task Force against Corruption which is tasked to look into irregularities in the entire government, Justice Undersecretary Emmeline Aglipay-Villar said yesterday.

    She said the task force headed by Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra has so far received at least 60 complaints this week.

    Guevarra on Monday said 20 complaints have been filed.

    Aglipay-Villar echoed Guevarra’s statement that most of the complaints involve projects undertaken by the Department of Public Works and Highways. Aglipay-Villar, wife of Public Works Secretary Mark Villar, said the projects were outside Metro Manila.

    Guevarra has said the probe will initially focus on the DPWH, Bureau of Customs, Bureau of Internal Revenue, Land Registration Authority and the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation.

    He said the Office of the Vice President may be included in the probe if there is a complaint but none has been filed.

    Guevarra also said Malacañang has not given any order for the task force to conduct an investigation on the OVP.