THE Health Department yesterday renewed its call to parents and caregivers to protect their kids from the dreaded polio virus as it kicked off a massive vaccination drive in Lanao del Sur, Marawi City, Davao del Sur, and Davao City.
The DOH also started yesterday its second round of vaccination drive in the National Capital Region, with the last round set on November 25.
“We urge all parents and caregivers, health workers, and local government units to protect their children and communities against the polio virus by participating in the synchronized vaccination in high-risk areas,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said.
All children aged five and below, regardless of their immunization status, are covered by the vaccination drive.
The vaccination campaign will be expanded to the whole of Mindanao on November 24 and will be concluded on January 6, 2020.
The polio virus was eradicated in the country in 1999 but made a comeback last month when a 3-year-old girl from Lanao del Sur and a five-year-old boy from Laguna were diagnosed with the deadly disease.
Duque encouraged parents and caregivers to complete the polio vaccination of their children by following their routine immunization schedule.
“Full vaccination against the polio virus is the best way to prevent the transmission of the disease,” said Duque.
Polio is a highly contagious disease transmitted through the fecal-oral route and is caused by the polio virus that may result in life-long paralysis and even death.
Aside from immunization, Duque also appealed to the public to always practice good personal hygiene.
“Practice good personal hygiene: to wash hands regularly, use toilets, drink safe water, and cook food thoroughly,” said Duque.
In Mandaluyong, 38,000 children from 27 barangay will be given free polio vaccination, according to Mayor Menchie Abalos. – With Christian Oineza