JUSTICE Secretary Menardo Guevarra yesterday said the National Bureau of Investigation will look into the health condition of former Ozamiz City Councilor Ricardo “Ardot” Parojinog, who died on Friday inside the detention cell of the Ozamiz City police hours before he was set attend a court hearing on the criminal cases against him.
The PNP has ruled out foul play on Parojinog’s death.
Guevarra said he has discussed the matter with NBI-OIC Eric Distor and they agreed to let the NBI field operatives do some fact-checking.
“They will fact-check the state of his health before he died. The NBI will find out if Parojinog had been sick before he was transferred, and what his condition was upon actual arrival in Ozamiz,” Guevarra said.
He said it is up to Distor to “determine who will make this preliminary inquiry.”
“I have requested him to advise me of their initial findings as soon as possible,” Guevarra added.
Parojinog was brought to Ozamiz City from Camp Crame to attend a court hearing on the illegal possession of firearms and explosive charges against him.
Northern Mindanao police director Brig. Gen. Rolando Anduyan said Parojinog died from cardio pulmonary arrest or cardiac arrest secondary to cardiovascular disease.
Swab samples were also taken from Parojinog to determine if he contracted COVID-19.
Parojinog was the brother of former Ozamiz City mayor Reynaldo Parojinog Sr., who was killed along with his wife and another brother and 12 others in a police raid in their residence in 2017.