NEARLY a month since the declaration of the national dengue epidemic, cases of the mosquito-borne diseases remain unabated and is now nearing the projection of the Department of Health (DOH) for the entire year.
Based on the latest Dengue Surveillance Report, the DOH said there are already 229,736 cases reported from January 1 to August 17. This is higher than the 110,970 dengue cases recorded during the same period last year.
The number of deaths also went up to 958 this year from 582 last year.
Western Visayas was found to have the most number of cases with 39,892; followed by Calabarzon with 30,899; Northern Mindanao with 17,674; and Zamboanga Peninsula with 16,695.
Deaths caused by dengue were also highest in Western Visayas with 179; followed by Calabarzon with 98; Central Visayas with 90; and Zamboanga Peninsula with 88.
Meanwhile, regions that exceeded the epidemic threshold are Calabarzon, Mimaropa, Bicol Region, Western Visayas, Eastern Visayas, Zamboanga Peninsula, Northern Mindanao, Socsksargen, and Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
The National Capital Region and Ilocos Region, on the other hand, have exceeded the alert threshold.
The most affected age group by dengue was the 5-9 years old bracket with 52,207 (23%).
Males were found be majority of the victims with 120,258 (52%).
It was back in August 6 when the DOH declared a national dengue epidemic due to the rise in the number of cases.
Earlier, Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said they are expecting about 240,000 cases to be recorded for 2019 considering the usual spike every 3 years.