Deaths breach P5K mark; new cases down to 1,635

    1284

    FIFTY more patients have succumbed to the new coronavirus disease (COVID-19), according to the Department of Health, while only 1,635 new cases were reported yesterday, the first time in more than two weeks that new cases did not exceed 3,000.

    In its latest bulletin, the DOH said majority of the new cases came from the National Capital Region (583) while reported 102, Iloilo 97, Rizal 67, and Cebu 57.

    In all, COVID cases in the country rose to 291,789 while the number deaths breached the 5,000 mark with 5,049 fatalities so far.

    Majority of the new deaths were recorded in NCR with 20. Other deaths were reported from Western Visayas (10), CALABARZON (8), and Central Luzon (4).

    There were 450 more recoveries, raising the number of survivors to 230,643.

    While there was a marked decrease in the number of new cases, a group of health professionals expressed concern over the growing incidents of severe and critical cases.

    In a virtual press briefing, Health Professionals Alliance Against COVID-19 Co-Convenor Dr. Maricar Limpin said: “We have been seeing more severe cases and those that need to be brought to the intensive care unit. There are more severe or critical cases that’s why we are still unable to get some rest. We are always on guard because of the severe and critically ill.”

    The group noted that for September 22, the number of severe and critical among the 56,097 active cases was pegged at 1.3 and 3.1 percent, respectively. This is higher than the number of severe and critical among the 57,392 active cases on September 15 with 1.2 and 2.9 percent, respectively.

    Last September 8, the number of severe and critical among the 52,893 active cases stood at 1.3 and 1.9 percent, respectively.

    Limpin said the rise in severe and critical cases may be attributed to the public trying to avoid going to hospitals due to the pandemic.

    “Many of our countrymen, instead of seeing doctors when they have symptoms, opt not to.

    This is saddening,” Limpin said, adding such a mindset will only lead to more COVID-19 patients becoming severe or critical.

    “We need to improve our health seeking behaviors. Once we have symptoms, we should go to the nearest doctor so that if we need to be admitted, we will be immediately referred for (hospital) admission,” said Limpin.

    The Department of Foreign Affairs said six more overseas Filipinos were added to the list of those infected with the deadly virus, bringing the number to 10,417 in 78 countries since its outbreak.

    The DFA also reported one new fatality, meaning the number of overseas Filipinos who have died from the virus rose to 779, with 498 recorded in the Middle East and African regions, 178 in the Americas, 95 in Europe and 8 in the Asia-Pacific.

    The DFA also reported 10 new recoveries, bringing the number to 6, 629. – With Ashzel Hachero