THE number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases increased to 3,764 on Tuesday as the Department of Health reported 104 new cases.
As of 4 pm. Tuesday, there were also 14 new fatalities, or a total of 177, and 11 recoveries (total 84).
Globally, the World Health Organization said there were 1,210,956 confirmed cases as of Tuesday, including 67,594 deaths.
Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said “about 80 percent” of COVID-19 cases came from the National Capital Region, the second most populated region in the country, after the Calabarzon region.
He said this is because majority enter the country via Metro Manila, including the imported cases.
“A high number or volume of flights mostly arrive in Metro Manila,” he said.
As to the Visayas and Mindanao, there are fewer cases as these are mostly due to local transmission only.
“Outside Luzon, the region with most cases is Davao with 79, while Central Visayas has 39 cases,” said Duque.
Among Filipinos abroad, there were 10 more deaths, bringing the total to 65.
The Department of Foreign Affairs said there were 49 fatalities on Sunday and 43 on Saturday.
Most of the deaths took place in the Americas with 35 (from 27), followed by Europe with 26 (from 24), three in the Middle East and African regions, and one in the Asia-Pacific region.
Overall, 569 Filipinos in 36 countries have COVID-19.
Interior Secretary Eduardo Año, the lone Cabinet member to be infected by the COVID-19, is due to undergo another test on Wednesday, the 13th day of his home quarantine.
In a phone interview, Año said he is confident his test will come out negative, adding he feels strong.
Año went on 14-day home quarantine on March 26 after ACT-CIS party list Rep. Eric Yap announced he tested positive for COVID-19. He and Yap attended a meeting in Malacanang on March 21. The RITM later said Yap’s test was actually negative.
Año has also had been in contact with four people who tested positive for COVID-19, including Armed Forces chief Gen. Felimon Santos Jr. who has recovered.
Año underwent testing on March 27 and got the result, confirming he is COVID-19 positive, on March 31.
“Tomorrow will be my 13th day (on quarantine) so I will have my test again tomorrow. I’m very strong, strong like a bull. My antibodies defeated the virus. If you are physically and psychologically strong (you will recover),” he said.
“I feel I am negative (for COVID-19) now but of course I have to go through the process. So tomorrow, I’ll have my test again,” the DILG chief also said.
PNP chief Gen. Archie Gamboa said he needs to go on on home quarantine again.
Gamboa recently completed home quarantine after having been in contact with three people positive for COVID-19.
“There is a need for me to go on quarantine again for the next few days,” he said. “Anyway, generally I am fine. I have no symptoms and I can manage the PNP. It’s going to be easy because I’m just inside Camp Crame.”
3 MORE COPS
Three more policemen have tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the number of personnel infected with the virus to 22.
PNP spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said the new cases are all male and assigned in Metro Manila.
The number of PNP deaths and recoveries remained at two each. — With Ashzel Hachero and Victor Reyes