Cops served as escorts of POGO workers?

    186

    THE PNP on Monday said it has started looking into reports that policemen escorted workers of Philippine Offshore Gaming Operation (POGO) firms from Manila to Cagayan last week.

    PNP spokesman Brig. Gen. Bernard Banac said the Police Security and Protection Group (PSPG) is conducting an investigation on the report of Cagayan provincial police chief Col. Ariel Quilang that they intercepted 22 POGO workers escorted by two PSPG members, who tried to sneak into the province last Thursday.

    Quilang said the POGO workers were intercepted at a checkpoint. All but one were denied entry as part of the measures to prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus.

    Allowed to proceed to the Cagayan Special Economic Zone and Freeport was Benedict Wong, 35, a manager of Eastern Hawaii Casino.

    Reports said Wong, a person under monitoring, was allowed entry based on the decision of the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATF) on COVID-19 in the province. Wong was ordered to be on a 14-day quarantine.

    Banac said the guilty cops will be punished if they are found to have violated protocols.

    “PSPG is now conducting investigation to determine the circumstances … The PSPG already initiated an investigation. We will first see the circumstances,” said Banac.

    “(The) PNP will never tolerate erring personnel. If evidence warrants, appropriate administrative and criminal charges will be filed against them. If there are violations, definitely we will not tolerate it. Appropriate sanctions will be imposed,” he added.