PNP chief Camilo Cascolan yesterday ordered a probe on a convicted drug trafficker who allegedly continues his drug operation at the National Bilibid Prisons.
Cascolan said he has directed the PNP Drug Enforcement Group to work with the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and Bureau of Corrections “in checking the activities of Rustico ‘Dikoy’ Ygot” after the seizure last Sunday of seven kilos of suspected shabu worth P47.6 million from three suspected pushers in Cebu City.
The three suspected pushers were identified as Rolando Ondoy Romeo, 32; his younger brother Eduard, 24; and Calvin Hermoso Valdez, 42.
“One of the arrested couriers revealed that the seized drugs which came from San Carlos City, Negros Oriental belonged to Rustico ‘Dikoy’ Ygot, a convicted drug lord now serving sentence at the National Penitentiary after he was convicted of drug charges in 2013,” said Cascolan.
This is not the first time the PNP claimed that Ygot was continuing his illegal activities. In March last year, police officials made the same allegation after seizing 28 kilos of shabu, worth P190.4 million, from three suspects in separate operations in Cebu City.
Cascolan said the PNP has served a freeze order issued by the Anti-Money Laundering Council on two properties of Ygot in Cebu.
Meanwhile, the Cordillera regional police office uprooted 68,800 fully-grown marijuana plants in Barangay Bugnay in Tinglayan town in Kalinga province on Sunday. Cascolan said the uprooted marijuana plants were worth P13.9 million.
In Boctoc, Mountain Province, Cascolan said policemen recovered 17 marijuana bricks, worth P2 million, abandoned in Sitio Sukit in Barangay Samoki also on Sunday.
Since assuming his post as PNP chief on September 2 up to September 19, Cascolan said the PNP has conducted a total of 2,570 anti-drug operations throughout the country. He said these operations resulted in the arrest of 3,615 suspects and confiscation of 16.7 kilos of shabu worth P114 million.
Cascolan also downplayed a pronouncement by United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet about the supposed continuing human rights violations in the campaign against illegal drugs.
Bachet recently urged the Philippine government to revoke the policies that have resulted in the killing and rights violations of thousands of drug suspects.
“Let me state for the record that human rights has never gotten in the way of the PNP campaign against illegal drugs and vice-versa, precisely because police anti-illegal drugs operations are consistent with police operational procedures or rules of engagement that are founded on the fundamental principle to respect, protect and fulfill human rights; and to uphold the rule of law,” Cascolan said, adding the PNP will not lower its guard against illegal drugs which he said “destroys families and the moral fiber of society.”
Operatives of the Muntinlupa City Police seized P686,800 worth of suspected shabu and nabbed a suspected pusher in a buy-bust operation on Sunday.
Police identified the suspect as Ramond Pangilinan Calinog, 34. Seized from him were 101 grams of shabu and the buy-bust money.
Two more suspected pushers were nabbed in Makati yesterday identified as Romnick Isic basas, 32; and Martin Panican Garcia, 35.
Seized from them were suspected shabu with a street value of P816,000, a cal. 22 magnum, five bullets and the buy-busy money.
Two more suspected pushers were nabbed in Pasig City on Sunday, with police seizing P238,000 worth of suspected shabu. – With Christian Oineza and Noel Talacay