COINCIDING with the return of Metro Manila to a modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ), the Commission on Elections (Comelec) is temporarily suspending its operations for the next two weeks.
In an announcement, the Comelec said it is temporarily closing its main office as well as the Offices of the Regional Election Director (ORED) of the National Capital Region (NCR), Calabarzon, and Mimaropa, all of which are in Intramuros, Manila, from August 3 to 16.
Extensive disinfection and decontamination will be done on the offices. Comelec officers and employees from the concerned offices wil be under work-from-home arrangement.
The Comelec said the issuance of local and overseas voters certificates by the Election Records and Statistics Department (ERSD) and Office for Overseas Voting (OFOV) in the main office will also be temporarily suspended.
Since last month, the Comelec main office as well as the OREDs of NCR, Calabarzon, and Mimaropa have been undergoing regular disinfection and decontamination activities every Friday.
It was back in June when the poll body began its phased resumption of operations, with only skeletal work forces physically reporting in its offices.