Closures, retrenchment leave over 160K jobless

    159

    MORE than 160,000 workers have already lost their jobs after over 8,000 companies either shut down permanently or implemented retrenchment this year, which remains highlighted by the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.

    Based on the latest Job Displacement Monitoring Report of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), a total of 8,325 companies had displaced workers totaling to 164,485, as of August 16.

    “A total of 164,485 workers were displaced nationwide from 8,325 establishments from January 2020 to present as reported by the DOLE regional offices, with 90 percent of which reduced workforce (7,460), while the remaining 10 percent reported permanent closure (865),” said the DOLE report.

    The report said the 865 firms that reported permanent closure displaced a total of 15,266 workers.

    On the other hand, the 7,460 companies that retrenched workers affected 149,219 employees.

    In just the first half of August alone, a total of 22,914 employees from 1,510 firms have already lost their jobs.

    The month of June tallied the highest number of reporting establishments with 2,602, which meant the displacing of 50,589 workers.

    The National Capital Region (NCR) had the most number of displaced workers with 80,199; followed by CALABARZON with 32,896.

    Also having high number of displaced workers are Central Luzon (17,813), Central Visayas (9,528), Cordillera Administrative Region (5,411), and Davao Region (3,914).

    In terms of major industry group, having the most displaced workers were under administrative and support service (38,311), followed by the other service activities (21,007), and manufacturing (20,727).

    Also suffering massive job losses are the accommodation and food service industry (15,596), information and communication (13,374), and wholesale and retail trade, repair of motor vehicles and motorcycles (11,662).

    Business operations of nearly all business establishments in the country, especially those based in Metro Manila, were shut down after various levels of community quarantines were imposed all over the country due to the COVID-19 pandemic.