Close to 100 workers displaced due to COVID

    111

    NEARLY 100,000 workers have already lost their jobs this year amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic after almost 4,000 companies either shut down or implemented retrenchment due to limited operations.

    Based on the latest Job Displacement Monitoring Report of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), a total of 3,745 companies had displaced workers totaling to 99,853 as of June 28.

    “A total of 99,853 workers were displaced nationwide from 3,745 establishments from January 2020 to present as reported by the DOLE Regional Offices, with 90 percent of which reduced workforce (3,389), while the remaining 10 percent reported permanent closure (356),” said the DOLE report.

    The report said the 356 firms that reported permanent closure displaced a total of 8,377 workers.

    On the other hand, the 3,389 companies that retrenched workers affected 91,476 employees.

    The National Capital Region (NCR) had the most number of displaced workers with 46,660; followed by CALABARZON with 20,745.

    Also having high number of displaced workers are Central Luzon (10,386), Cordillera Administrative Region (5,153), Central Visayas (4,856), Davao Region (2,606), and Northern Mindanao (2,309).

    In terms of major industry group, having the most displaced workers were under administrative and support service (30,374), followed by the other service activities (12,489), and the manufacturing sector (11,636).

    Also suffering massive job losses are the accommodation and food service industry (6,195), and information and communication (5,463).

    Meanwhile, the monthly breakdown shows that the month of June tallied the highest number of reporting establishments with 2,365, which meant the displacing of 45,724 workers.

    This is followed by the month of February with 371 reporting establishments covering 30,712 displaced workers nationwide.

    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the government imposed various levels of community quarantine nationwide that resulted to the halt in operations of nearly all business establishments.