FOR the sixth straight day, over 4,000 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases were reported by the Department of Health (DOH) yesterday and 18 more deaths that raised the death toll to 12,866.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said 4,387 more had tested positive for the deadly virus, raising the total number of infections in the country to 635,698.
There were 374 recoveries, meaning the number of survivors rose to 561,099 but active cases continued to spike, soaring to 61,733.
Of the active cases, 93 percent are mild cases, 3.8 percent are asymptomatic cases, 1.3 percent are severe cases, 1.2 percent are critical cases, and 0.68 percent are moderate cases.
Thirty-six more overseas Filipinos have tested positive for the deadly virus as the total number of infections neared the 16,000 mark, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs.
Data provided by the DFA showed that 15,928 Filipinos in 88 countries have so far contracted the virus. Of these, 8,881 were in the Middle East and African regions while 3,188 were in Europe.
The Asia Pacific region has recorded 2,969 cases among members of the Filipino community while there are 890 cases in the Americas.
The DFA also reported one new fatality, bringing the death toll to 1,044. There were 80 more recoveries as the number of survivors rose to 9,645.
Twenty-seven employees of the Department of Justice have contracted the virus since last year while another who had been infected died.
DOJ Undersecretary Emmeline Aglipay-Villar said the 27th case was reported yesterday while there were eight active cases being monitored.
To prevent the spread of the virus, the DOJ main office is operating at 50 percent on-site workforce while the rest are working from home. The DOJ main office and annex buildings were closed since March 12 for disinfection but reopened yesterday.
The Manila Health Department said the number of cases in the city continued to climb with 400 new cases, bringing the number of active cases to 2,102.
There are six new deaths, bringing the death toll 837, but there were also 141 new recoveries. In all, 28,993 Manila residents who contracted the virus have recovered since last year. – With Ashzel Hachero