Anti-polio drive resumes in Metro

    55

    THE Department of Health resumes today, Monday, the Sabayang Patak Kontra Polio campaign in the National Capital Region.

    Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo urged residents of Metro Manila to take advantage of the latest anti-polio drive that will run up to Feb. 7.

    “We hope that their response in our previous rounds, where we met our targets, will be the same for this one in Metro Manila. This is very important (in our campaign versus polio),” said Domingo.

    Health Secretary Francisco Duque III advised parents and caregivers of children under five years old to protect their kids against the dreaded disease.

    “Have your children, including those with private physicians or pediatricians, vaccinated with oral polio vaccine by health workers and bakunators. The outbreak must be put to a halt, and we can only do this if all our health facilities are achieving the targets,” said Duque.

    Earlier this month, the number of confirmed polio cases in the country rose to 16, including one from Quezon City, the first from Metro Manila since the outbreak began in September 2019.

    The DOH first held synchronized oral polio vaccination in Metro Manila back in November 25 to December 7.

    Last week, the DOH also resumed its SPKP in Mindanao that will run until Feb. 2.

    Domingo said the response in Mindanao has been positive since the campaign resumed last Jan. 20.

    “The response has been good. We are meeting our targets. We are at more than 60 percent already in just four days,” he said.

    Domingo said the vaccination target for the campaigns in Mindanao and NCR remains at 95 percent.