MORE than 9,200 government housing had been turned over by the administration to families affected by supertyphoon Yolanda seven years ago, Cabinet Secretary and concurrent Task Force Yolanda chairman Karlo Nograles said.
Nograles said 1,831 units were turned over to beneficiaries in Cebu in late July; followed by 1,419 units turned over in Ormoc City, 663 units in Biliran, 4,193 units in Tacloban City, all in August; and 1,000 in Samar and 187 in Leyte in September which are all in Region 8 (Eastern Visayas). The houses in Leyte were turned over during the weekend.
He said the government is still completing 9,413 housing units in Cebu and 10,877 houses in Eastern Visayas.
Nograles said the administration is expediting the construction and turnover of the houses under the “Yolanda Permanent Housing Projects” to complete it on or before the term of President Duterte ends in 2022.
He said that apart from the houses, the government is ensuring that Yolanda beneficiaries also have access to basic facilities and services, including livelihood, health, and education.
Yolanda (international name: Haiyan) left more than 7,000 people dead and millions of pesos worth of infrastructures and products destroyed when it hit the country on November 8, 2003.