THE PNP has released from its custody the nine policemen accused in the murder of four Army intelligence personnel in Jolo, in Sulu in June last year, PNP chief Gen. Debold Sinas said yesterday.
In a press briefing at the PNP headquarters in Camp Crame, Sinas said the nine were released to their families last week because the PNP no longer has a ground to continue keeping them under police custody.
Sinas approved on January 1 the recommendation of the PNP Internal Affairs Service to dismiss the policemen for administrative charges of grave misconduct.
Sinas said the PNP has to release the nine from its custody also because there is no arrest warrant for their arrest.
“We have coordinated with the DOJ (Department of Justice) at saka sa lahat, hanggang ngayon wala po. [We have coordinated with DOJ and all agencies, until now, there is none]),” said Sinas.
Sinas implied the PNP could be charged for arbitrary detention if it keeps the nine under its custody.
The nine are Senior Master Sgt. Abdelzhimar Padjiri, Master Sgt. Hanie Baddiri, Staff Sergeants Iskandar Susulan and Ernisar Sappal, Cpl. Sulki M Andaki, and Pat. Moh. Nur Pasani, all members of the Jolo Municipal Police Station Alert Team; and Staff Sgt. Almudzrin Hadjaruddin and Patrolmen Alkajal Mandangan and Rajiv Putalan of the Provincial Drug Enforcement Unit.
They were detained at the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame during the administrative and criminal investigation against them.
Government prosecutors filed charges of murder and planting of evidence against the nine policemen last week for the killing of Maj. Marvin Indamog, Capt. Irwin Managuelod, Sgt. Jaime Velasco, and Cpl. Corporal Abdal Asula.
The four were flagged down by the policemen as they were tracking a group of Abu Sayyaf bombers.