2,037 new cases; deaths now 12,322

    488

    FOR the fifth straight day, more than 2,000 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases were reported by the Department of Health, a development that has not been given much attention given the stir caused by the arrival of the Sinovac vaccine in the country.

    In its bulletin yesterday, the DOH said there were 2,037 new cases, raising the number of infections in the country to 578,381, while the death toll rose to 12,322 with four more new deaths.

    There were 2,113 cases last Sunday, coming on the heels of 2,269 reported last Thursday, followed by 2,651 last Friday and 2,921 last Saturday.

    There were 86 more recoveries, meaning the number of survivors has risen to 534,351 but there remained 31,708 active cases, of which 89.3 percent were mild cases, 5 percent asymptomatic cases, 2.5 percent critical cases, 2.3 percent severe cases, and 0.89 percent moderate cases.

    The number of overseas Filipinos infected with the deadly virus neared the 15,000 mark after 17 new infections were reported by the Department of Foreign Affairs.

    In all, 14,914 overseas Filipinos had tested positive for the virus, with 9,400 having recovered and 4, 496 still undergoing treatment.

    No new death was reported, with the death toll among Filipinos abroad now at 1,018.

    Meanwhile, Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma expressed eagerness to resume his work after surviving his bout with the deadly virus.

    In a video message posted by the Archdiocese of Cebu, Palma said: “It’s nice to be home to resume our duties and ministries. For us, who are given another opportunity to continue our ministry, we say praise God.”

    Interior Secretary Eduardo Año was hospitalized while he was on leave, according to DILG Undersecretary for peace and order and DILG officer-in-charge Bernardo Florece.

    “Masyado kasi siyang workaholic kaya nag-bog down siya. (He is very workaholic so he bogged down),” Florece said in a press briefing in Camp Crame. He did not elaborate.

    Año, 59, a former Armed Forces chief, contracted COVID-19 twice last year. His second infection required him to be confined at a hospital.

    “He requested the President for an extended leave until the end of March. He is due to be discharge and then continue his recovery at home but he is okay,” Florece said. – With Ashzel Hachero and Victor Reyes