1,888 new cases, total up to 561,169

    2491

    THE Department of Health reported 1,888 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases yesterday that raised the number of infections in the country to 561,169 along with 20 more deaths.

    In its latest bulletin, the DOH said the number of fatalities now total 12,088 for a case fatality rate of 2.15 percent.

    Last Saturday, the DOH reported 239 deaths, the second-highest daily increase in casualties since the pandemic started, and 2,240 infections.

    The previous daily high death toll was 259 deaths reported on September 14.

    On the bright side, there were 9,737 more recoveries, meaning the number of survivors now total 522,843. The DOH said this means that 93.2 percent of patients had recovered.

    But there remained 26,238 active cases, of which 87.3 percent are mild cases, 6.1 percent asymptomatic cases, 3 percent critical cases, 2.8 percent severe cases, and 0.91 percent moderate cases.

    The DOH said two laboratories failed to submit data.

    Ten more Filipinos abroad tested positive for the deadly virus, raising the total to 14, 801 while there were two more fatalities that brought the number of deaths to 1,014. No new recoveries were reported by the Department of Foreign Affairs.

    Of the overseas Filipinos sickened by the deadly virus, 9,301 have recovered.

    The Middle East and African regions continued to show the way in terms of cases and deaths among overseas Filipinos with 8,131 and 662, respectively.

    Another Cebu bishop has tested positive for the deadly virus amid the spike in cases in several parts of the province.

    According to the Archdiocese of Cebu, retired Auxiliary Bishop Emeritus Antonio Rañola, 88, has tested positive for the virus.

    In a report by CBCP News, Rañola stays in the same residence as Cebu Archbishop Jose Palma, who also tested positive last week.

    The Cebu Archdiocese said Palma is in stable condition at the Perpetual Succour Hospital.

    Before the two Cebu prelates, six other bishops had tested positive. They are Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples Prefect Cardinal Luis Antonio Tagle, Manila Apostolic Administrator Bishop Broderick Pabillo, Ilagan Bishop David William Antonio, Kalookan Bishop Emeritus Deogracias Iñiguez, Lingayen-Dagupan Archbishop Emeritus Oscar Cruz, and Imus Bishop Emeritus Manuel Sobreviñas. – With Ashzel Hachero