FOR the third straight day, less than 2,000 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases were reported by the Department of Health (DOH) but there were 38 more deaths, raising the number of fatalities to 6,783.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said the 1,664 new cases brought the number of infections in the country to 363,888.
Last Tuesday, the DOH reported 1,640 new infections and 1,509 last Wednesday.
Two Metro Manila cities – Malabon and Quezon City – had 76 and 69 new cases, respectively, while Cavite had 81, Davao City 76, and Iloilo City 75.
Majority of the new deaths were recorded in Metro Manila with 11. The rest were from CALABARZON (8), Davao Region (7), and Western Visayas (6).
There were 843 new recoveries, raising the number of survivors to 312,333.
Globally, as of October 21, there were 40,665,438 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 1,121,843 deaths, according to the World Health Organization.
The Department of Foreign Affairs yesterday reported no new COVID case or fatalities among overseas Filipinos.
The DFA reported four new recoveries in the Asia Pacific region, bringing the total recoveries so far to 7,248.
As of October 21, the DFA said 11,186 overseas Filipinos have been infected with the virus while 815 have died.
Meanwhile, the city of Manila opened another quarantine facility yesterday at the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila that can accommodate 66 patients.
The Australian Embassy in Manila said it will provide P70 million in anti-COVID assistance to the Armed Forces of the Philippines. – With Ashzel Hachero