THE Department of Foreign Affairs on Monday said 153 overseas Filipino workers in 23 countries have been infected with the novel coronavirus since its outbreak late last year.
Of the total, 66 are undergoing treatment, 86 have been discharged from hospitals, and one has died.
In the Asia-Pacific region (including Diamond Princess cases), the DFA said there are 106 cases with 23 undergoing treatment and 83 discharged from the hospitals.
In Europe, there are 14 cases with 11 still undergoing treatment and two discharged from the hospital. The lone fatality among the OFWs is from Europe.
In the Americas, the DFA said there are 16 cases, including crew members of the cruise ship Grand Princess. All 16 are undergoing treatment.
In the Middle East, 17 OFWs were infected with 16 still undergoing treatment while one has been recovered and has been discharged.
The DFA breakdown also showed 80 Filipino crew members of the cruise ship Diamond Princess were infected, making the case the most number of Filipinos to get infected. Of the 80, 77 have recovered and have been discharged
The Philippine consulate in Hong Kong, citing information from the Hong Kong Government’s Information Services, said two more Filipinos have tested positive for COVID-19 in the special administrative region, bringing the total to five.
Early Monday, the consulate said a 29-year-old Filipino is the 276th confirmed COVID-19 case in the former British colony.
The consulate said the fourth infected Filipino is a male working as a musician in the city’s popular nightlife hub of Lan Kwai Fong. He was reported to have fever, cough and sore throat and was brought to the Caritas Medical Center by local health authorities. He has no recent travel history during the incubation and infectious period.
Hong Kong has reported 318 COVID-19 cases, including 44 new cases on Sunday.
Another Filipino who has tested positive for the virus was discharged from the hospital on March 20.
There are about 238, 000 Filipinos living and working in Hong Kong.