NEARLY 1,400 new coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases were reported by the Department of Health yesterday while seven more patients succumbed to the deadly virus.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said of the 1,387 new cases, Batangas had 71, Quezon City 70, Davao del Norte 64, Benguet 59, and Quezon 57.
In all, the number of infections in the country rose to 444,164 while the number of fatalities now stands at 8,677 for a case fatality rate of 1.95 percent.
There were 156 new recoveries, raising the number of survivors to 408,942. The DOH said this means that 92.1 percent of COVID had recovered.
Less the deaths and recoveries, the DOH said there are 26,545 active cases, accounting for six percent of COVID cases in the country.
Of the active cases, 85.2 percent are mild cases, 6.6 percent are asymptomatic cases, 5.2 percent are critical cases, 2.7 percent are severe cases, and 0.31 percent are moderate cases.
Four more overseas Filipinos have contracted the virus, bringing the total number to 11,699, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs.
The four new cases were recorded in the Asia-Pacific region, bringing the total cases among members of the Filipino community there to 1,971 with 9 deaths.
No new deaths and recoveries were reported yesterday.
The current death toll among overseas Filipinos is 847 with 7,578 recoveries.
Trade Secretary Ramon Lopez yesterday announced he tested positive for the deadly virus after being exposed to a COVID positive patient Tuesday last week.
Lopez said he has been in isolation since last week and had no meetings or personal encounters with President Duterte. He is asymptomatic and continues to perform his functions.
Meanwhile, Manila reported 72 more recoveries yesterday, raising the number of patients who survived the deadly virus in the city to 22, 613 against 681 deaths.
Manila still has 412 confirmed active cases, with 67 new cases recorded Tuesday. There are still 632 suspected cases and 681 probable cases in the city.
In terms of bed occupancy, 291 beds in the city’s district hospitals have been allotted for COVID patients but only 71 are occupied for an occupancy rate of 24 percent.
In another development, the city health department headed by Dr. Arnold Pangan said the number of leptospirosis cases in Manila this year has dropped by as much as 86 percent compared to 2019.
It said that from January 1 to December 5, there were only 19 leptospirosis cases and six deaths.
Taguig City Mayor Lino Cayetano encouraged residents to report persons violating health protocols against the virus and quarantine guidelines being implemented by the local and national government.
“Our goal is to have zero COVID-19 cases in the city as this year ends and we can achieve it with the help of my constituents,” Cayetano said, adding reports should be sent to the Safe City Task Force (hotline number 0917-8331327, facebook messenger of Safe City Taguig or email@example.com).
According to City Epidemiology and Disease Surveillance Unit (CEDSU), active COVID cases in Taguig went down to 25 on Wednesday from 31 on Tuesday. – With Ashzel Hachero, Irma Isip and Noel Talacay