DAVAO City and Quezon City had 92 cases each as the Department of Health reported 1,061 new coronavirus disease COVID-19 cases yesterday and 10 more deaths that raised the number of fatalities to 8,446.
In its latest bulletin, the DOH said that Rizal reported 50 new cases, Pampanga had 44, and Quezon 43.
Overall, the number of infections in the country rose to 435,413.
There were 328 more recoveries, meaning the number of survivors has risen to 399,325.
The DOH said 91.7 percent of patients have recovered from the deadly virus that has killed more than 1 million around the world.
Less the deaths and recoveries, the DOH said there are 27,642 active cases, accounting for 6.3 percent of COVID cases in the country.
Of the active cases, 85.2 percent are mild cases, 6.9 percent are asymptomatic cases, 5 percent are critical cases, 2.6 percent are severe cases, and 0.28 percent are moderate cases.
The Department of Foreign Affairs revised the number of overseas Filipinos infected with the deadly virus, saying it has received updated reports that 72 of those previously reported cases were not Filipinos.
From Wednesday’s total of 11,719, the number has been lowered to 11,649 in 82 countries.
The DFA also said that one previously confirmed death in Europe has been corrected, so the death toll now stands at 846.
The number of recoveries remained at 7,545 while 258 are still undergoing treatment.
In anticipation of a post-holiday surge in COVID cases, the DOH has allocated 235 additional hospital beds in areas with high number of patients – Cagayan Valley, CALABARZON, Davao Region, and the National Capital Region.
“As the holiday season poses a potential increase in cases, we will not let our guards down. We are unequivocally prepared for any circumstances that this Yuletide season may bring,” Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a statement.
“(Thus), we have also increased our COVID-19 beds capacity in different regions with high-risk classifications to prevent saturation in our hospitals,” he added.
Since NCR still has the highest number of cases, 80 additional beds were added in public hospitals while 65 more beds were pledged to private hospitals. In all, NCR now has over 6,700 COVID-19 dedicated beds.
Duque said the remaining 90 hospital beds have been allocated in hospitals in Cagayan Valley, CALABARZON, and Davao Region. This brings the total combined COVID-dedicated beds in the three regions to 3,791.
As of November 30, Duque said the country has a total of 21,947 beds dedicated for COVID-19 care. Currently, Duque said the country’s overall COVID-19 bed utilization rate is at a low risk level of 34 percent.
Duque also renewed the DOH’s call for the public to shun large gatherings this Christmas Season.
“It would be wiser, during this time of pandemic, to simply stay at home during this Yuletide season and limit the celebration to household members only,” Duque said.
“As the holidays are nearing, let us do our part. Everyone should remain vigilant as the threat of the pandemic is still here,” he added. – With Ashzel Hachero