Harvey Weinstein is sued by woman he was convicted of sexually assaulting
By Jonathan Stempel
NEW YORK – Harvey Weinstein was sued on Friday by the former production assistant who the disgraced movie producer was convicted at trial of having sexually assaulted.
Miriam Haley, who has also used the name Mimi Haleyi, is seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages for the pain and suffering she said Weinstein caused by assaulting her in July 2006, a time when she was seeking more work in the entertainment industry.
Lawyers for Weinstein did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Haley, who lives in London, filed her lawsuit with the U.S. District Court in Manhattan.
Weinstein, 68, is appealing his Feb. 24 conviction and 23-year prison term for sexually assaulting Haley and for raping onetime aspiring actress Jessica Mann in 2013.
The conviction was in a New York state court in Manhattan. Weinstein still faces separate rape and sexual assault charges in Los Angeles.
Haley had testified that while working on a Weinstein television production, she agreed to meet with him on July 10, 2006, in his apartment in Manhattan’s SoHo neighborhood.
She said they were sitting on a sofa making small talk when Weinstein lunged at her, prompting her to jump up and say, “oh, no, no, no.” Haley said he then backed her into a bedroom, held her down on a bed, and forced himself on her orally.
Weinstein “has completely failed to acknowledge his criminal misconduct” and “shown no sign of true remorse,” Haley said in a statement provided by her lawyer Gloria Allred. “He should be held fully accountable.”
Before his conviction, Weinstein had denied sexual abuse accusations by several dozen women. His case helped trigger the #MeToo movement against predatory sexual conduct.
A Delaware bankruptcy judge overseeing the liquidation of Weinstein’s former film studio is expected to consider a liquidation plan that would provide about $17 million in compensation to Weinstein’s accusers. – Reuters
Lori Loughlin starts prison term for role in college admissions scandal
By Lisa Richwine
LOS ANGELES – “Full House” actress Lori Loughlin began a two-month prison sentence for her role in a vast college admissions fraud scheme to help her daughters gain entry into a top US university, a prison official said on Friday.
Loughlin, 56, reported to a low-security federal correctional institution in Dublin, California, a spokesperson for the prison said by phone.
After initially fighting the charges, Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli, pleaded guilty in May to conspiracy to commit wire and mail fraud.
Prosecutors said Loughlin and Giannulli paid $500,000 in bribes to secure spots for their daughters at the University of Southern California (USC) as fake athletic recruits for the school’s crew team even though neither rowed competitively.
The celebrity parents were among 56 people charged in a scheme masterminded by consultant William “Rick” Singer, who has admitted to facilitating cheating on college entrance exams and using bribery to secure admission to elite schools.
“Desperate Housewives” star Felicity Huffman served 11 days last year in the same prison that is now housing Loughlin, for her role in the scandal.
In August, Loughlin apologized and said she had acted out of love for her daughters.
“I am truly, profoundly and deeply sorry, and I need to face the consequences and make amends,” she said at a court hearing.
Loughlin starred as Aunt Becky in family comedy “Full House,” which ran on US television from 1987 to 1995. It was revived by Netflix in 2016 as “Fuller House.”
Giannulli was sentenced to five months in prison for his role in the scandal. – Reuters