New expressway projects to decongest MM

    353

    Four expressway projects rolled out this year are seen to decongest traffic in Metro Manila.

    Rodrigo Franco, president and chief executive officer of Metro Pacific Tollways Corp. (MPTC) said two additional expressway projects which will open in December are in addition to two that became operational earlier this year.

    The 5.65-kilometer elevated expressway of NLEX Harbor Link and 2.2 km. of the Cavitex-C5 Link expressway project have been operational starting February and July this year, respectively.

    Franco said another section of NLEX Harbor Link connecting to Malabon City and the first section of the Laguna segment of the Cavite-Laguna expressway (Calax) project will be open by December .

    The company has temporarily opened the first 10-km. section from Mamplasan toll barrier to the Santa Rosa, Laguna to Tagaytay Interchange starting yesterday to help alleviate traffic during Undas.

    Mark Villar, Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) secretary, said the opening of Calax, even on a single lane basis, will decongest Laguna boulevard and Aguinaldo highway.

    “We are at 90 percent completion. The remaining 10 percent of the works are being fast tracked while in operations. We hope to fully open before December steps in,” Villar added.

    The company opened a single lane on October 30 until 10 p.m., and from 6:00 a.m. to 10 p.m. on October 31 to November 2.

    For the daily access time starting November 3, it will be open on Sunday to Thursday from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., with an extended time on Friday to Saturday until 10 p.m.

    “This will only be temporary, until the remaining works for these first subsections are completed. The public is reminded to drive safely and observe relevant traffic rules while travelling along the partially opened lane,” MPTC said.

    “Upon issuance of the relevant certifications and permits from DPWH and TRB (Toll Regulatory Board), full access to the completed lanes and other interchanges and 24-hour commercial operations shall be possible,” it added.