Megawide loses OPS on NAIA rehab

    807
    Megawide's concept of the rehabilitated NAIA. (Image from Megawide)

    The Manila International Airport Authority (MIAA) has revoked the original proponent status (OPS) granted to Megawide Construction Corp. and GMR Infrastructure on its P109-billion offer to rehabilitate the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).

    The proponent said they were informed of the revocation in a letter dated Dec. 15, 2020.

    In response, Megawide-GMR said in a statement they will immediately file a motion for reconsideration, saying it has complied with all requirements and interpretations of the proposal.

    Megawide and GMR first submitted a proposal for the rehabilitation of NAIA in 2018. Five months ago, after nearly two years of failed discussions with several of the Philippines’ largest conglomerates, Megawide was asked by the Department of Transportation to consider resubmitting a proposal for the rehabilitation of the aging NAIA.

    The government set terms that were stricter than those imposed on the first proponent.

    The reason for the revocation was not immediately known but last month, the MIAA asked Megawide-GMR to submit additional requirements to prove its financial capability to finance the project. The group submitted a joint solidary liability on the project.

    Megawide’s proposal sought not just to rehabilitate NAIA but to transform it into a first-world, global airport complex.

    Megawide and GMR, the world’s fourth largest airport operator, were also the proponents behind the Mactan-Cebu International Airport.