February 25, 2018, 1:12 am
Facebook iconTwitter iconYouTube iconGoogle+ icon

Lawyer, 3 others survive ambush

A LAWYER and his three companions survived an ambush in Quezon City past midnight yesterday after he shot and ran over his attackers, who included a policeman on AWOL.

Quezon City Police District director Chief Supt. Guillermo Lorenzo Eleazar identified the lawyer as Argel Joseph Cabatbat of Barangay Tandang Sora, Quezon City.

A police report showed that Cabatbat and his three companions were on board his sports utility vehicle (SUV) while travelling along the northbound lane of EDSA, when they were fired upon at the corner of East Avenue by three persons on board two motorcycles at around 12:30 a.m.

Surviving the attack, Cabatbat and his companions chased the gunmen until they were able to shoot two near Vertis North, and then ran over them.

The impact has made Cabatbat’s Montero lose control, with the vehicle rolling over and left lying on its side on the road. The occupants were unhurt.

Police later identified two of the gunmen as PO1 Mark Boquela Ayeras, 32, of Malabon City; and John Paul Cerilo Napoles, 27, of Pasay City.

Aside from being hit by the speeding vehicle, Ayeras was also shot in the body during the exchange of fire.

The policeman was taken to East Avenue Medical Center, but was declared dead upon arrival.

Napoles, on the other hand, is still undergoing treatment. The third gunman was able to escape.

Recovered from the crime scene were Napoles’ .45 caliber pistol, a magazine with nine ammunition, and several fired cartridges.

Police also seized Cabatbat’s 9-mm Beretta pistol loaded with six ammunition used by one of his companions in firing back at their attackers.

Eleazar said Ayeras, who had been declared absent without leave (AWOL) last August 10, was previously assigned at the QCPD’s Public Safety Battalion before he was transferred to the Regional Public Safety Battalion-National Capital Region Police Office (RPSB-NCRPO).

Records showed that Ayeras entered the police service on July 1, 2010.

Eleazar said a manhunt has been launched for the third gunman and investigations are ongoing to determine the motive for the attack.

Cabatbat believed the attack might be related to his work, saying he has received death threats prior to the incident.
Category: 
Rating: 
No votes yet

Column of the Day

Rappler’s continuing saga

By DAHLI ASPILLERA | February 23,2018
‘Without a court TRO against the SEC ruling, Rappler’s accreditation in Malacañang was considered revoked.” – Senior Deputy Executive Secretary Menardo Guevarra.’

Opinion of the Day

Duterte does not understand media’s role in a democracy

By ELLEN TORDESILLAS | February 23, 2018
‘This is funny if it didn’t violate the constitutional guarantee of freedom of the press.’